Friday, June 5, 2015

Project #15

I have always just used Google as a search engine. I am glad I had to do this project because now I will try to use all different search engines. According to Reliablesoft.net, search engines are ranked in and order of use. The order is as followed:
1. Google
2. Bing
3. Yahoo
4. Ask.com
5. AOL.com
6. Blekko.com
7. Wolfram Alpha < br/> 8. DuckDuckGo
9. Wayback Machine
10. ChaCha.com
Bing is a Microsoft's attempt at Google.(Reliablesoft.net) When I explored Bing, I found out that it is just like google except pulls up different websites. Yahoo is powered by Bing.(Reliablesoft.net) When I typed the same thing in bing and yahoo, I got the exact same results. Ask.com is where users ask or answer certain questions. When I typed a question in Ask.com, I got an answer instead of different websites. When I used AOL.com, I figured out it still searches many of the most popular websites but is one of the older search engines. Blekko.com was originally created by ex-googlers.(Relaiblesoft.net) They have now joined IBM Watson. It is a search engine just like google and yahoo but gives different information just like google and yahoo give you different information. Wolfram Alpha is known as the "computational knowledge engine." (Relaiablesoft.net) Wolfram Alpha will give you calculations instead of word answers like the rest. I used Wolfram Alpha to help me with long and difficult calculations. DuckDuckGo only searches certain websites. When I tried to type something in, only a few websites came up. Last search engine is ChaCha.com. When I tried to use ChaCha, I noticed there were a lot of pop-ups and side advertisement unlike google.

a

2 comments:

  1. "Blekko.com was originally created by ex-googlers.(Relaiblesoft.net) They have now joined IBM Watson. " So why use it? How did you evaluate it?
    "DuckDuckGo only searches certain websites. When I tried to type something in, only a few websites came up." and "Last search engine is ChaCha.com. When I tried to use ChaCha, I noticed there were a lot of pop-ups and side advertisement unlike google." I have the same questions.

    Did you actually use Wolfram-Alpha?

    ReplyDelete