Sunday, May 31, 2015

Blog Assignment #2

In the video Mr. Dancealot, I feel that the purpose of this video was to show us an example of a bad teacher and teach us how not to teach. Every demonstration he did he hid behind the front desk, so the students could not see his feet. I was really confused about the conclusion because he did not ever mention a final, and then he made the students repeat everything he taught them. The instructions on the final were not specific either. This was a great video to show us how not to teach.

Teaching in the 21st century will be a little different. It will be different because of the fact that technology has changed so much over the years. Roberts believes teachers will have to dig deeper to come up with assignments.
 He states:

  • If teachers continue to (as Dr. Strange likes to call it) "burp" out information, there will not be too many teachers for long.
  • Students can gather any type of information they want by searching the internet. 
  • Teachers are not really the teachers anymore. 

If they use the assignments they use now, the students can just use the internet to find the answers and that is not digging for information. I agree with Roberts that teachers will have to use different assignments and become more knowledgeable. Roberts made an excellent statement in the video that stated, "Teachers are not the ones teaching anymore. It is the internet that is teaching." (Roberts, Teaching in the 21st Century) This argument will affect me as an educator because I will dig and become more knowledgeable, so I am the one still teaching my students.

In the video Networked Student, it shows how a student learns American Psychology through networking with other students. The author states that this students goes through a lot of networks and connects with different students to learn in his class. The author then asks the question "Why does this student even need a teacher?" His response was that she teaches him everything about networking. Networked Student  reminds me a lot of EDM310 because we do a lot of work on our own, but we would not be able to do the work without Dr. Strange teaching us how.

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts is about how a teacher named Vicki Davis wants to only use technology in her classroom for students learning purposes. Her thesis is that she believes that every student can learn by using technology unlike when students learn with paper and pencil not all students learn. I agree with Mrs. Davis's argument. I like the way she has her class set up with students teach some days instead of her. I also like the fact that she allows her students to teach her as much as she teaches them.

After watching Dr. Strange's video Who's Ahead in the Learning Race?, I learned that as an Undergraduate student I may not be more knowledgeable than an Elementary student. Dr. Strange asked the question "Who is Ahead in the Learning Race?" The answer to that question is Elementary children. I as an Undergraduate student do not know how to do most of the stuff Dr. Strange showed in the video. I do believe that kids are more eager to learn and catch onto technology learning easier than regular learning.

I had not heard of Flipping Your Classroom until I watch the video, so this concept is new to me. I think this concept is a great idea. I never had the opportunity to know what I was learning the next day in elementary school or high school. Now that I am in college, I have the opportunity to know ahead of time and learn more in depth on a topic. I do think this will benefit me as an educator because I will be able to help those who need review more than I would normally be able to help.
a person with brainstorm bubbles of what they need to learn to teach in the 21st century




4 comments:

  1. I agree! Mr. Dancealot certainly doesn't know how to teach, and I would never want to be that way. I also believe the elementary children are ahead in the race, and I feel they are more eager to learn. I think it is easier for them because it is all they have ever known. I wasn't raised with a ton of access to technology and media, so I feel disadvantaged and often afraid of using it. I am hoping this class will help me with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The author then ask the question…" asks, not ask.

    And now you have joined the Learning Race. Go for the blue ribbon.

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This argument will affect me as an educator because I will dig and become more knowledgeable, so I am the one still teaching my students." You don't have to be the one that is always teaching. You will always learn something from your students. As the technology in classrooms increase, our role as teachers changes. We become more of a guide and a filter.

    Good.

    ReplyDelete